The Production Engineer is directly responsible for contributing to the successful start-up of our Austin, TX plant through the optimization of manufacturing processes and methods in the BIO-CEL® production operation. The position is will be responsible for developing and implementing optimal, cost-effective manufacturing processes, methods, continuous improvements to production processes and controls in accordance with product specifications and quality standards. You will work closely with Production Operators, Quality, Supply Chain, Purchasing, R&D, and vendors to coordinate manufacturing launch for new or revised products and to decrease cost, improve quality, and increase the capacity of production.
ROLE SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES
- Possess a strong work ethic
- Creative problem solver and analytical decision maker
- Self-directed with a drive to learn
- Communicate effectively with production operators, other departments and across plant locations
- Capability to work on multiple projects simultaneously
- Excellent organizational, collaboration, and interpersonal skills
- Capable of working in a fast-paced environment
- Knowledge of preventive maintenance programs and quality systems.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES (including but not limited to)
- Improves manufacturing processes and methods for scrap and cost-reduction, quality improvement, efficiency, and output.
- Prepares and presents plans for the above and coordinates deployment including training of team members.
- Performs research, design and development of manufacturing processes including production flow, assembly methods and production equipment.
- Take personal ownership for implementation of measures that drive the successful start-up of the BioCel® production.
- Manages New Product Introduction transitions from design to production coordinating manufacturing launch plans, establishing goals, training team members and evaluating results.
- Performs product/process analysis for cost reduction, quality improvement, and improved efficiency, including continuous improvement and standardization efforts to improve yields, reduce costs and improve quality.
- Responsible for planning and implementation of preventive maintenance program including spare- and wear parts management for fixtures, tooling, and critical machine parts.
- Coordinate local Value Analysis/Value Engineering (VA/VE) and cost reduction activities.
- Write and train to work instructions.
- Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical, Mechanical, Industrial or Manufacturing Engineering required
Training and Experience:
- 3-5+ years of Manufacturing Engineering Experience
- Experience with semi-automated / fully-automated equipment including robots and handling systems.
- Programming knowledge of Programmable Logic Controller (PLC) system Siemens Step 7, ABB Robot Controller IRC 5, with background in Process Field Bus controls.
- Knowledge of Win CC (Visualization HMI) and ABB Dispenseware 6.0 (Adhesive dispensing controller of ABB robot) is a plus.
- Knowledge of preventive maintenance program planning and implementation.
- Experience working with Lean Manufacturing tools, 5S, and Six Sigma principles, Green Belt certification desired.
- Demonstrate a proficiency in the following:
• Material flow analysis and Kanban material supply
• Failure analysis in manufacturing with ability to investigate and analyze information and draw conclusions
• Interpretation of technical drawings, specifications, technical standards, etc.
• Change management process capability: impact analysis, planning and follow-through
• MS Office applications, such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
This position does not have supervisory duties
WORK ENVIRONMENT and PHYSICAL DEMANDS
Work is usually performed in a production and office environment, utilizing lab, industrial, and office. The job will also require the employee to safely handle, use, and dispose of chemicals. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to talk, hear, and write in a professional manner. The employee is also required to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Potential for travel, including international travel. Therefore, employee must possess, or can acquire a valid passport. To fulfill the requirements of the essential duties and responsibilities, an individual must be able to perform each duty satisfactorily. The requirements and environmental characteristics described above are representative of the knowledge, skills, ability, and physical elements necessary for the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.